Today, window tinting is one of the most popular ways people upgrade their vehicles. It offers a variety of benefits:
● Safety: Tints protect passengers from the sun’s harmful rays. They also keep the interior cool, making it less likely you’ll burn yourself on scorching hot components.
● Interior preservation: Sun rays fade your interior and can even crack your dashboard. Tints help slow this. This also helps your car maintain its value better.
● Comfort: Blocking the sun’s rays means a cooler interior during the summer. You spend less time sweating when you get in your vehicle, and you don’t need to rely as much on your climate controls.
● Privacy: When people can’t see inside your car, it’s less likely to be targeted by thieves. If you desire privacy on the road, tints help with that, too.
● Style: Darkened windows look great on a wide variety of vehicles.
That said, you can’t go as dark as you want. You also can’t place tint wherever you want.
Tinting Laws in Pennsylvania
Tinting laws vary by state. In Pennsylvania, the front and rear side windows must allow at least 70% of sunlight to come through. Any more than this means you’re breaking Pennsylvania law. Some police departments actually use a tool called a tint meter which measures the amount of light that comes through the windows.
Additionally, the front windshield can only be tinted except for on the top four inches of the windshield so drivers can shade their eyes from the sun. This is because too dark of tints can impair visibility, and transportation authorities want to take no risks of reduced driver visibility in front.
The rear windshield is allowed to be tinted, though.
Here’s a general guideline for those areas that you’re allowed to tint: if you can’t see into your car at all, it’s too dark. Your visibility isn’t the only concern — police need to be able to see inside the vehicle during a traffic stop. If the windows are too dark, they don’t know what’s going on in there, which raises the tension during a traffic stop.
How to Enjoy Your Tints While Complying With the Law
The best way to ensure you get maximum enjoyment out of tinting without breaking the law is to have a professional install your tints for you.
Bring your vehicle into Car Pretty in Philadelphia if you’re looking to get tints. Our experts will not only professionally install your window tints, but we’ll make sure you’re in the know about all the local laws surrounding your tints. That way, you can enjoy your newly-tinted windows worry-free. Contact us today to learn more.